Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Letter to Avis car rental for their illegal surveillance tactics



Ron Nelson
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ
07054

Mr Nelson:

I work for a major international manufacturing firm with offices in seven countries around the world.  I travel often, flying domestically as well as internationally and I rent vehicles during my visits.  My company, has a corporate account with Avis. 
My last trip took me to St Louis where I was scheduled to rent a car from Avis. Upon arriving at the airport, I proceeded to the Avis counter.  After confirming my reservation, they asked for a credit card. I produced my Sun Trust debit/check card. The rental agent told me that since my “credit” was not good enough, I could not rent a vehicle.  My personal credit was run, without my permission, from the information on my drivers license.  I confirmed this with the agent at the counter.  I know this to be true because I gave them my debit card  (as a secondary means) and my credit was run.

1.     It is illegal to run a persons credit without their SIGNED APPROVAL.
2.     Running a persons credit via their drivers license is also illegal and morally wrong.
3.     Avis has caused damage to me by running an “inquiry” on my credit (without my knowledge),costing 6 credit score points.
4.     This also happened to a VP in my company, and he has confirmed the credit hit.

After the illegal running of my credit, the counter agent handed my a 3X5 card from Experian, stating a generic reason for denial. In addition to the above listed wrongs, my personal credit has nothing to do with the credit of my company.
I ended up renting a car from Thrifty. While at the Thrifty counter, they remarked, “…that happens to a lot of people, they all end up over here.” Naturally I asked if anyone else had remarked on the illegal search and invasion of privacy of their drivers license and credit and they said no. This is what really incensed me. Avis has been getting away with this!  The dumbed down moronic public has been letting your company data mine them! Not any more sir. Your position is one of accountability and responsibility and you need to make a change. We are cancelling our corporate account and I am advising others to do the same.
Please change your policy immediately.


Avis sucks, rental car companies, i hate avis, illegal credit card verification, avis corporate policies, problems with avis, real life rants, real life, rants, rental car issues


No comments:

Post a Comment